TX – K12 Education
OUR VISION: Every Kid deserves access to educational opportunity.
We believe the purpose of education is to help students discover, develop, and apply their unique abilities. Each and every student must have access to an education that unleashes their extraordinary potential – regardless of their family income or ZIP code.
THE PROBLEM: Too many schools fail to develop the extraordinary potential of every kid
• Our system of education is focused on schooling and not true education.
• Traditional schools are designed to deliver standardized content, not individualized learning.
• Performance is too often measured by passing tests that assess short-term recall of facts, instead of ensuring mastery of knowledge.
OUR APPROACH: Bigger, Bolder Policy Change that applies to every student
• Bigger, bolder policy changes are the key to unlock the potential of every student. The incremental approach to reform has contributed to years of relative stagnation in the fight to expand educational opportunity.
• Real policy change means that every student has the freedom to select the educational options that work best for them.
• Policies that limit educational opportunity based on income, status, geographic location, or school performance should be avoided, as they make it extremely hard to achieve meaningful change.
GOOD POLICY CHECKLIST: What policies do we support?
We support policies that help us move us away from the one-size-fits-all approach that dominates our current education system and closer to a system of personalized learning. If the policy meets some of these criteria, we want to be part of the conversation:
• Contributes to a diversity of solutions
• Allows every family to select the best school for their child
• Allows for the customization of education around the child’s unique needs and talents
• Ensures that education funding follows the student
• Fosters innovation and experimentation
• Builds community support
• Acknowledges every kid has extraordinary potential
• Extends educational opportunity to all children