The more people there are contributing positively to society, the brighter America’s future shines. Yet today’s immigration system keeps too many decent, industrious people from fully participating in the American experience.
This is a detriment to our whole country. Through collaboration with lawmakers and community leaders, The LIBRE Initiative is determined to change that.
The call to action
The LIBRE Initiative, along with Americans across the nation, recognize that we need to fix our nation’s outdated, dysfunctional immigration system. That’s why we believe an issue of this importance, that affects the lives of hundreds of thousands of immigrants, requires a substantive debate in Congress and durable reforms enacted into law.
For decades, Congress and the president — under both Democrats and Republicans — have failed to come together and pass meaningful immigration reform that recognizes the contributions of immigrants, strengthens our economy, enhances border security and addresses the status of those here without documentation, including those brought to the U.S. as children in an undocumented manner, known as Dreamers.
We are hopeful that such a debate will yield solutions that address competing concerns fairly, and which have the support of the American people.
Facts you should know about immigrants
- Some 68% of Americans believe our country’s openness to foreigners is essential to who we are as a nation.
- Some 70% of people believe legal immigration should stay at the current level or increase.
- By increasing the customer base for U.S. companies and starting new businesses, immigrants create more new jobs than they fill.
- Nearly half of all Fortune 500 companies were founded by immigrants or their children. Google, AT&T, Pfizer — all created by immigrants.
- Most immigrants contribute more in taxes over their lifetimes than they use in government benefits.
- There are more than 7 million job openings in the U.S. Meanwhile, nearly 5 million qualified, potential immigrants are currently stuck on the visa waitlist, instead of contributing to the American experience.
- From 2016 to 2017, 62% of newly undocumented immigrants had overstayed their visas, while 38% had crossed a border illegally.
- Our immigration system is so convoluted that complying with the law is virtually impossible. The result is 11 million undocumented immigrants living and working in the shadows, and nearly 5 million prospective immigrant visa applicants currently waiting in line.
- Immigrants to America today are learning English at the same rate or faster than in the past.
Who we are
Founded in 2011, The LIBRE Initiative is a non-partisan, nonprofit grassroots organization that works to empower the U.S. Hispanic community so it can thrive and contribute to a more prosperous America.
Our mission is to equip the Hispanic community with the tools it needs to be prosperous and achieve the American Dream. We’re committed to developing a network of Hispanic pro-liberty activists across the U.S., so our message reaches every corner of the country.
Latinos in communities around the country recognize The LIBRE Initiative as a trusted partner. Along with our sister organization, The LIBRE Institute, we provide valuable community services, which have included English language tutoring, driver’s license training, citizenship preparation, small business assistance, financial literacy courses, resume workshops, back to school events and many others.